Since early December, ORICoop has been championing the Organic Farmers Bushfire Appeal to directly assist organic and biodynamic farmers across Southern Australia to get through the bushfire crisis and back farming as quickly as possible.
Our original target was to raise $14,000 for one (1) semi-load of organic hay to fire-affected dairy farmers in NSW. The response was amazing with enough donations of hay, transport and cash to fund six (6) truck-loads of certified organic feed for desperate farmers! Since then bushfires have continued to burn out farms across Southern Australia and we’ve renewed our target to $50,000, and we’re getting closer daily – with over $40,000 raised so far and we are far from finished!
100% of Appeal funds will directly assist farmers to Restore, Rejuvenate and Regenerate themselves and their farmland by:-
- replacing essential farming equipment
- buying certified organic fodder & grain
- providing livestock transport to alternative organic farmland
- funding new seasons plantings
- replacing burnt fruit & nut trees
- restoring vegetation
- coordinating teams of volunteers to restore farms
In the coming weeks we’ll be ascertaining farmers needs across different regions and allocating Appeal funds to as many organic & biodynamic farms as we can – farmers can register for support here.
LEND A HELPING HAND
Businesses can support the Appeal by:
- Encouraging customers to make a donation at the register
- Including this flyer in weekly food boxes, or on the shop counter
- Sharing the Appeal in your next email newsletter
- Offsetting your carbon footprint with tree purchase(s) to be planted on fire-affected farms – contact ORICoop for details
- Spreading the word on social media and amongst your networks
- Sharing this Starting Again resource with your bushfire affected farmers
Farmers can lend their support by:
- Donating a load of hay/fodder to fire affected farmers
- Offering temporary agistment until the fire risk and drought passes
- Hosting a regenerate weekend nearby affected farmers – contact ORICoop for details
The Organic Farmers Bushfire Appeal is coordinated by ORICoop (Organic & Regenerative Investment Co-operative) bringing together farmers, consumers, businesses and partners to support bushfire affected farmers in this time of need. Together we are focussed on increasing the amount, diversity and productivity of organically & regeneratively managed farmland around Australia, while building a resilient Australian food and farming system that can change the way our farmers do business … for the better!